Saturday 18 December 2010

84 Charing Cross Road

Theatrical poster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/84_Charing_Cross_Road_(film)
I think I just watched the best film, ever. 84 Charing Cross Road. It is a movie about books, friendship, London and New York and I think I fell in love with it. I was feeling a little low and blue. I was tucked up in bed, feeling the chill (although not as cold as home, which is stuck in the big freeze, sorry!). I am suffering from an attack of nostalgia and homesickness and after watching, "The Young Victoria" which was a nice enough film, Netflix suggested I might like, 84 Charing Cross Road. And I did. It stars Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft, it is a love story, but a love story over correspondence, letters and books and over the Atlantic ocean.

I loved this film for the love and joy found in books, letters, lives and not least of all for the scenes of London and New York (cities I love) and brilliant lines; like:


"What would we do without our cups of tea. Life would be insupportable, would it not?" 

"I love inscriptions on flyleafs and notes in margins. I like the comradely sense of turning pages someone else turned and reading passages someone long-gone has called my attention to."

Understated and witty, lovely and warm, nothing overdone and everything said; just right. It is the sort of movie I aspire to be, witty and warm but just enough. Bitter but sweet, like the best dark chocolate. It reminds me of my other favourite films, Remains of the Day and Sense and Sensibility. These are of course the English stereotypes, of formality and reserve, but it is something I admire and respect. Maybe ever more as we over share and provide TMI (Too Much Information) all over the place. I am guilty as charged of both crimes. But aspirations are needed, and maybe one day I will be just as witty, warm and understated as this movie.

Even better; I see it is based on a book and it is based on the author, Ms Helene Hanff's real 20 year correspondence with Mr Frank Doel of Marks & Co. What I cannot understand is how I have never seen this film before?

10 comments:

Louise Brown said...

I absolutely love this film too and I've read the book over and over and over again. It's so gentle and lovely. Don't try and find the real shop as it's now a Pizza Hut :-(

Dhara said...

I wanna watch it! gonna get it sounds brilliant.

Jigna said...

oh no Pizza Hut! I think my heart may have just broken a little! Yes, Dhara, get it, you will LOVE it!

Lizzie said...

I put this on my Lovefilm list after reading your blog and watched it yesterday. Such a lovely film! What would have happened had she not had that root canal..?!

Jigna said...

Lizzie so glad you enjoyed it too! The what if's, are always so intriguing! Relevant today, what if she had had dental health insurance? I always knew dentists were evil (just don't tell my brother and sister in law!?) But somehow (spoiler alert) the romance is that it is unfulfilled, exactly like Remains of the Day, another favourite!

roopa said...

ahhh i tried to buy this book in australia and went to several different book shops! its an oldie isnt it? going to try and order online. so excited!

Jigna said...

Roopa maybe you could start up a correspondence with a book shop somewhere to order the book and in 20 years.......I just read the book actually it is lovely, the film is very true to the book. The book is basically a collection of their correspondence, it really makes me wish we still wrote letters! (Although I do love the instant gratification of the internet!)

roopa said...

LOVING the book, only half way but had to re-read your blog! You are so right jigs, witty and understated, funny and intelligent! want to watch the film! So funny, I might try and write to someone to help me find it?!

Jigna said...

Ah so glad you like the book! I think you will love the film too!

Dhara said...

i enjoyed the film! i think i'd like to read the book though. i was a bit annoyed by the ending in the film...