Tuesday 26 August 2008

Big Brother (not the reality TV show/programme)

The other day I read a scary Cif (Comment is free) on the Guardian website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/18/terrorism.civilliberties

The whole sorry story left me feeling very angry, ashamed and scared. I am angry and ashamed that the great British people (and I include myself in this) have allowed the Government to literally scare us into passing these laws that have allowed the "authorities" these almost unlimited powers. I am selfishly scared for my family, friends and loved ones. I am terrified that there is absolutely nothing to stop this from happening to any one of us. What can I do, what can any of us do?

Dhara suggested I post a blog about this and at first I did not feel compelled to do so, simply because other then to say the above what else can I say? I read the following Cif today. The on going onslaught against all our civil liberties has left me feeling so powerless that I decided to post this blog.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/26/civilliberties.labour

Finally on a slightly lighter note (as the above really does leave me feeling so frustrated that I just don't know what to do, other then to retain a sense of humor and hope in the face of adversity) when Roopa was flying to visit us in Dallas, I wanted to check whether her flights were on time. The website I found actually tracked her flight and provided me with a map of where her airplane was en route....Big Sister is watching you! Jigna

No comments: