Monday 4 August 2008

Trans atlantic dentist story

We finally went to the dentist, here in Dallas. Wooley had to make an emergency appointment due to his wisdom teeth, like with anything if it was not urgent we probably would not have bothered! Anyway so the receptionist asked him where he was from and he said "Britain", she said, "Oh I thought you were from England" Boom boom! 

Weirdly a friend also went to the dentist around the same time, and was talking about going to Vegas with her British friends, and the hygienist asked her about our teeth, they have a stereotype here that British people have bad teeth, due to the NHS, she defended our teeth! The other day I was in a lift with some people who were talking about a British girl in their office (I didn't know them, it was not my office building) they commented on how nice her teeth were despite her being from the UK. 

I went to the dentist also, the hygienist cleaned my teeth for nearly 2 hours, well it has been a while! She did a very thorough job. The dentist commented on how nice my teeth were, they should be after all the years of orthodontic work, which was on the NHS, by the way, so I really do think the NHS is great! Anyway he has a a little camera he can put in your mouth to show you your teeth on a TV screen, very hi tech and probably not something all NHS dentists have? Although Mandeep is thinking of getting one.

So I am trying to do my best to break down these stereotypes, but with a TV show on BBC America called "Britain's worst teeth" I fear I may be facing an uphill struggle? Jigna

No comments: