Tuesday 25 May 2010

Books 2010- Dickens, David Copperfield

A novel I have re-read after many years, this is a brilliant classic. It took me a while to get into it but once I was in I was hooked. I have never studied this book, and the experience of reading a ‘classic’ for yourself is vastly different to reading novels as a set text – you miss out on the analysis and discussion, and also so many nuances pass you by. But, on the positive side, reading and exploring a classic alone means you can interpret for yourself, make assumptions and perhaps just enjoy it a bit more as you can just let loads of things you don’t understand just wash over you as you enjoy the narrative and story. also, as ever when a novel references places you know and love its always a bit thrilling and a lot this book is based in London and Kent.

It’s hardly surprising that David Copperfield is such a great novel, it’s funny with lots of twists and turns and great characters - I especially love the Micawbers and truly detest the villainous Uriah Heep and that ‘murdering sister’.

No comments: