Wednesday 19 May 2010

Books 2010 - Pratchett


I genuinely haven’t been reading that many books over the last couple of months, just enjoying reading newspapers and magazines (particularly at the weekend), catching up with blogs and also watching lots of rubbish telly. But the other day a book arrived that I’ve been keen to get for a while: Nanny Ogg’s Cookbook - A Useful and Improving Almanack of Information including Astonishing Recipes


Nanny Ogg is a discworld witch – and who is basically a bawdy, pervy, smart and hilarious woman. This book is a discworld spin off, and has some recipes and etiquette guide, and as its 'written' by Nanny Ogg its basically just a load of innuendo, quasi-phallic, nudge-nudge-wink-wink type stuff, with strong feminist and anti monarchist undertones, and can really make you laugh out loud. I haven’t tried any of the recipes out but I plan to, and I think I’ll start with the chocolate delight with special secret sauce, and also maybe the sticky toffee rat onna stick….


Whilst it does stand alone, I recommend that you read this book after you have enjoyed a couple of the witches discworld novels so you get the in jokes and shout outs. It’s quite easy to dip into every now and then, or read in one sitting, as I did.


1 comment:

Jigna said...

You read it one sitting? That is really not like you?! ;0 I think I am still waiting for you to tell me which should be my first Pratchett book to read?