Sunday 17 October 2010

Books 2010 - from Malgudi to 221B Baker Street

A Malgudi Omnibus - RK Narayan
This consists of 3 novels, all set in the fictional town of Malgudi.
1 - Swami and Friends, 1935
I liked this story of a young boy getting into scrapes at school and with his friends. It's nice and easy to read, and quite funny at times.
2 - The Bachelor of Arts 1937
This was an interesting read, I always like stories about Indian university campuses, pupils and teachers seem much better read than they do at UK campuses, with classic literary references scattered throughout the dialogue. This story was captivating with an inconclusive ending.
3 - The English teacher 1945
This was my least favourite. depressing and a stupid ending. No idea why I bothered reading it to the end!



Arthur & George - Julian Barnes
Jigna left this book here at Christmas and I am so pleased she did, as I don't think its the kind of book I would ever pick up in a shop or order online. I loved this story of two very very different men and the way that it unfolds. It is written in such a way that every paragraph reveals a little more and makes you want to read on to find out about the characters and the outcome. This is based on actual fact. Brilliant, I'd recommend this to anyone.

2 comments:

Jigna said...

Loved that you liked Arthur and George, I did too! It was weird not sure why I picked it up from 1/2 price books but so glad I did!

I do love short stories and will definitely look into the RK Narayan short stories, thanks! You had to read the last one till the end cos you are sister to Roopa and I, and you have to get to the end, like the film, Exhale with Whitney Houston!

BTW do you need any good book recommendations or I bet you have a massive stack for the recovery period?

Dhara said...

don't bother with the Malgudi omnibus, you can always read it here, i think mum gave it roops on a birthday years ago.