Saturday 23 October 2010

books 2010 - more from two authors I like

I am currently recovering from some surgery so I have been able to read a bit, but am mostly feeling a bit lazy and enjoying easy reads, crosswords, magazines etc. I promise my next blogpost will be something unrelated to books.

Susanna Clarke: Ladies of Grace Adieu and other short stories.


(Don't you think this book has a gorgeous cover?)

A collection of short stories by the author of one of my favourite novels, this is a lovely collection of stories featuring some of the same characters that appear in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell.  All of the stories are easy reads, fantastical and slightly sinister at times. Good escapism.


Sue Townsend: Adrian Mole - The Prostrate Years.
I haven't read an Adrian Mole diary for years and I got through this in two days - love his inane ramblings. I dont want to go on about Adrian Mole as everyone has heard of the diaries, suffice to say they always make me laugh out loud and I feel a special bond with the loser, mostly cos he is from Leicester. When I'd finished this, the most recent diary, I looked at the back and thought that I hadn't read 'the weapons of mass destruction' and promptly ordered it online.  A few hours later, looking at the bookshelves what do I see, with a 'happy birthday note' in it from mum...? you guessed it,  Whats wrong with me?! so unlike me not to remember a book! I am reading it now, and I'm currently in the throes of trying to cancel my amazon order. What an idiot.

Post script: just finished Sue Townsend - Adrian Mole and the weapons of mass destruction - I did enjoy it a lot, I couldn't remember much of it to begin with, but that explains why I tried to buy it again!


1 comment:

Jigna said...

That is so funny! I do love the cover looks pretty! I can remember reading a review of the new Adrian Mole book and did think of you. I remember enjoying the early ones I do need to catch up with the later ones, my list of books to read and things to do just seems to get bigger daily. (Including writing a blog post!) It must have been the pain medicine - brain cells a bit fuzzy!