Saturday 13 November 2010

Books 2010 - Five books in Two weeks

in the last fortnight i have read five books - that's what being at home and not able to do much does to you!

Amitav Ghosh - The Hungry Tide
A book I kept hoping would get better as I read on - alas it did not. A shame really as I have enjoyed other books by this author.

Christopher Brookmyre - A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil
Funny in a dark kind of way - I have never read any Brookmyre, I probably will look out his books again in the future but it wasn't a 'wow' book, just an intriguing, funny book that kept you guessing till the end.

Kate Morten - The Forgotten Garden
This was a book Jigna mentioned that she had read at a book club and I might like - she described it as ' a bit like A Suitable Boy so of course I had to give it a go.  It is like A suitable boy, but only in the sense it is written form the points of view of 3 women from different generations of the same family.  I liked it, it was a real page turner, but I am not sure I'd read it again.

Sarah Waters - The Night Watch
I have heard people mention this book before, so was pleased a friend brought it round and lent it to me. It was good - bleak and sad and heartbreaking, brilliantly written. Gives the reader a feeling for how so many different women were effected by the second world war.

Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard
This was a gift from a friend who went into a shop and said 'what books can you recommend for someone who likes Terry Pratchett' - how lovely!  Its a childrens book and its fantastic - this video shows some of the lovely illustrations in the book and gives an outline of it the story.

1 comment:

Jigna said...

I think you might need a good non fiction solid read that will keep you going for a really long time, I just finished The Great Influenza by John M Barry: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenza-Deadliest-Plague-History/dp/0670894737. Of course I only read it because of the other book group I am in, and when I say "read" I mean I read most of it, it's a pretty hard slog. But I did find it very interesting, the history of science, medical science and society at war, one of the things I learnt was that during WWI Americans started calling "sauerkraut" "liberty cabbage" . So interesting how some things just do not change or move on, "freedom fries" anyone?