Saturday 13 November 2010

why cheese is great - or 'just one cheese'

Jigna's post about supper clubs has inspired me to do another 'why *** is great' post.  CHEESE is brilliant.  NO really stop and imagine a life without cheese.  There are so many different kinds of cheese, unique and different and yummy, can be eaten by themselves, with bread, biscuits, crackers, as part of a main meal, starter or dessert, paired with fruit nuts chocolate and booze. its brilliant.

Now ask yourself this question:

If you could only eat one kind of cheese for the rest of your life, which cheese would you pick and why?

I ask this as it is something I have often discussed with many of my friends, and everyone has a different answer....

some say Mature Cheddar - cos its so versatile, melt it, sandwiches, etc

someone said Hallumi / Helim - because its salty goodness is unrivalled

another person said Stilton - just cos its a fave

someone I know said they couldn't live without feta

I think I'd go with Camembert - gooey ripe and perfect.  But it would be an incredibly difficult decision really cos I LOVE all cheese.

I have been surprised by some people saying they'd pick Parmesan (parmigiana), smoked cheese, Boursin, Edam, Gorgonzola, mozzarella - but there is of course so much choice and people all have different favourites!  

It is getting wintery and cold here in London and perfect cheese and biscuits weather  - my favourite right now is some Stilton, Brie and Port Salut with a yummy glass of red wine or port. Delicious, I am so glad I don't have to pick just one cheese!   This year I am going to get cheese from neal's yard  at  Christmas - I am really looking forward to it!!

2 comments:

Jigna said...

I can't choose a cheese, can I have all of them! I can't believe you did not add a cheese picture!? Also did I ever tell you that Bindu got me a cheese making book last Christmas?........

roopa said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS POST that I had to use capital letters. We meet people and talk about cheese, I have forwarded on this blog and been proud. Afterall, cheese is like another meat.

I'd have to say a good, sharp, vintage mature cheddar might have to be on the top end of my list if I had to, and i mean, had to choose. Versatile like you say, as a snack with fruit and biscuits, or used on top of a plain risotto or pasta, melted and in sandwiches. perfect. You cant go wrong if you have got a stock of lovely vintage cheddar in your fridge.

Not sure about feta, I mean I have always been a fan but I am not sure I have eaten it in enough different ways, I have had the odd flan or tart with feta and obviously the standard greek salad staple, but I am not sure I would choose feta. Need to practice I think.

Definitely stilton, it is funny how one grows into Stilton, I dont think I have always loved Stilton, but now the creamier, richer, bluer and veinier the better!

Camembert for sure. I understand this choice, but can someone tell me the difference between it and Brie? I have never been able to tell really? Brie is milder tasting, is it not?

Anish's sister-in-law makes the meanest Hallumi; grill to perfection, and whilst grilling chop one mild red chilli, not for spice but for flavour. Heat olive oil in a pan on the hob. Chuck in the chilli, squeeze into the mix the same quantity of lemon juice so it fizzes and pops but dont let the lemon juice evaporate. Literally it should take seconds. Serve the cheese with the sauce drizzled on top. Mouth watering.

This Christmas there was no cheese board to be had for us in Australia, although they do have a fair collection in shops. Dont get me started on these shops mind you, looked for goats cheese for beetroot risotto once, and we scoured the supermarket for a good 20 mins while shop assistants sent us to one cheese section, then another, then another. Altogether 4 separate cheese sections, why not have them all in the same place Australia!?

Cheese is brilliant and I am glad I can still enjoy it whilst travelling. (Even though it is really overpriced because of importing costs!)