Monday 7 July 2008

The Elders – and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

The Elders. I must admit I was slightly skeptical when I first heard about The Elders. What’s the point? I thought to myself. These people already have the platform, they are already venerated internationally. And then I had a look around at the website, found out a bit more about it and it hit me just how wrong I was. I realised that exactly what I thought was wrong is in fact what is absolutely right. Yes these people are venerated globally – but that’s just it – they are influential and inspirational individuals. There is much strength in this group of people coming together in an attempt to ease human suffering, to try to resolve conflict and bring about peace. Well it’s a mighty powerful group of people, and let’s face it – there is too much suffering in the world. Why not take a different approach to leadership, a different approach to try and end or at least ease the suffering of so many still.

"Never before has such a powerful group of leaders come together. Free from political, economic or military pressures. The only agenda of The Elders is that of humanity."

I will be following their work, and urge you to do so too. And now, onto one of the first things they have done as a group.

The Elders have joined with partner organisations to celebrate. 2008 is the 60th anniversary of the universal declaration of human rights. The Every Human has rights campaign aims to give people the opportunity to discover and indeed rediscover the universal declaration, and also offers us all the opportunity to make our own personal pledge by signing the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Everyone should do this.

Are basic human rights something that we should even still be discussing? Why aren’t human rights and freedoms respected and enshrined in everything we do and believe in as human beings? There are many arguments and discussions on this subject and for now, whilst I hold strong opinions on this, I am going to give myself some time to learn, to listen and read more about why we are still debating this issue and what I can do to help to try to protect and promote human rights.

Dhara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dhara,

Thanks for the lovely mention in this post. Everyone on The Elders' Every Human Has Rights campaign team really appreciates it. I think it's great to see The Elders' first initiative get some legs in the blogosphere - whether it's coming from the States, the UK, or anywhere else.


Very kind regards,

Josh

ps. not to give this comment the feel of anything less than a genuine thanks, we did just build some tools for bloggers to show their support if you're interested: here.

Anonymous said...

Good job Dhara! I had also heard about this and wondered. Its important to have ideals and goals with good experienced people lighting the way.

Jigna said...

I was listening to NPR on the way into work today and they were discussing what Dubya's legacy would be, and I was wondering if he would be invited to join the elders?!