Sunday 7 February 2010

Books Books Books - but only those I read in 2010....

This year I have decided to keep a log of the books I read and what I think about them. This is because in a year I do read quite a few books, and it will be nice to have a record of what I have read. I won’t be counting books that I have a) read before or b) just dipped into or c) started but not finished. There are no rules to reading! As far as I’m concerned, reading is a pleasure and you shouldn’t force yourself to if don’t want to, nor should you ever feel like you have to read and finish something – if you start and don’t like it, or just don’t feel like carrying on with it, put it down. You can always try again later if you want. See, that's the problem with bookclubs. I know some people might disagree but I do apply this principle to films too (which inexplicably annoys my sisters, as they are both completer finishers when it comes to films). If I’m not enjoying a movie I stop paying attention – I don’t feel obliged or compelled to see or know how it ends, who cares!? Anyone who has watched a preacher’s wife or ‘waiting to exhale will tell you that those are a few hours you will NEVER get back!

I digress – back to books. I am a big re-reader, so I won’t really be including books I have read again, just ones I have newly been exposed to. Sometimes I just pick up a book I’ve read before and dip into it at a random point, and sometimes I’ll read the whole thing again - either way I won’t necessarily always post about them. I definitely won’t post about the newspaper or magazines I read, or anything I haven’t read for pleasure. Just books – mostly novels, but you never know….and I promise I won’t give the ending away!

For completeness I have begun with the books I've read over the new year and into 2010 so far..(and I'm hoping my sisters might try and keep a log of the books they read too....it will be interesting to compare!)

Thud – Terry Pratchett

This is technically speaking a re read as I’d borrowed this from the library yonks ago when it first came out but as ever with Terry Pratchett every single time you re read a discworld novel it gets better – there are new clues you missed, jokes you didn’t get and subtle nuances to discover every time. Sam Vimes is one of my all time favourite characters, and in this book the resonance between the wars in our world and the fictional historical animosity and wars between the dwarves and trolls is stark. Its hilarious and brilliant – everyone should give the discworld a chance, you won’t regret it.

In your dreams – Tom Holt

The sequel to The Portable Door (which was introduced to me by the lovely Christopher). Tom Holt is a mentalist genius, and in this novel the main character Paul Carpenter discovers why he has to work at J G Wells and co, as well as learning about the Fey and the Bank Of The Dead. It’s funny and smart – but perhaps not as good as the first book in the series.

Earth Air Fire and Custard – Tom Holt

The third in the Paul Carpenter series, this was a hilarious and captivating book, with so many twists and turns at times I had to go back and re read whole paragraphs to stay with the story! I was hooked and couldn’t put it down, so many new silly and strange characters and magical happenings. Packed with foul mouthed swearing, perving goblins, magic crystals, flying carpet samples, custard, Paul dieing multiple deaths and a sword with a living half, this is not a book that is best read without reading the other two first. When I finished this fantastical adventure I felt quite sad (and exhausted!) its definitely one I will re-read.

The Lord God made them all - James Herriot

Aaah- the lovely James Herriot (and Helen, Siegfried, Tristan, Jimmy and Rosie). Lovely quaint Darrowby. The Yorkshire Dales. I LOVE the James Herriot autobiographies, even though I am not a huge animal lover and am in fact a confirmed city dweller most comfortable in the urban jungle. I have never read these books in order, just devouring them when I get them. This book chronicles the post war years, he is back from the RAF and his children are young. As well as recounting humorous tales from large and small animal veterinary practice, James tells of two working trips made to Russia and Istanbul accompanying animals from Great Britain. James Herriot really knows how to paint a picture with words. Delightful escapism, good wholesome reading that made me feel like I’d been breathing in lungfuls of fresh air.

Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel

This is a truly wondrous novel which deserves all the acclaim it has received. A fascinating story unfolds through recipes, richly embroidered with descriptive evocative language which captivates the reader from the beginning to the very end. The story is about love, lust, anguish and heartbreak. It tells the tale of the women of the De La Garza family and focusing on the youngest daughter Tita, who is destined to never marry but to grow old looking after her formidable mother. It’s so beautifully written you can feel the heat, smell the mole and taste the champandongo as you read.

2 comments:

Jigna said...

Funny, I just started a blog post reviewing a book and a film, I will leave it for a while before posting. All of those books are on my list of books to read at some point in the future, thanks Dhara! Just one thing though Book Clubs can be good to encourage you to pick up and read stuff you might not otherwise choose, and you can have a flexible book club? Maybe when I come home we can try to set one up?........

Claire said...

I've read 1-4 and liked them all so I might have to read 5 now!