Monday 15 February 2010

City Spice, 138 Brick Lane, London

City spice- AKA Shitty Spice 138 Brick Lane. Went there with friends and it was the worst experience I have ever had. I love Brick Lane, I love the bars, the atmosphere, the multiplicity of people and the noise. I have been to many restaurants in and around Brick Lane and am always up for having new experiences, but City Spice is the worst place I have ever been to.

There were a lot of us it was meant to be a lets feel good about each other and our jobs kind of night, we wanted to have a few drinks, a giggle and a tasty curry of a Sunday evening. We arrived at City Spice and sat downstairs, after an hour our food still hadn’t arrived. I went upstairs to investigate- I asked about our food please? I got a number of obscenities and eventually told to ‘sit down little girl’ to which I asked to see the manager and the young man told me he was the manager, then another young man came and joined us, in front of other patrons and retorted that he in fact was the manager, and yes you guessed right, a third came up and said exactly the same. Is it because I’m a young brown girl that the young brown ‘men’ cant speak to me with any respect?

The food arrived and was freezing cold. Some of our party asked for a re-heat, and then the ‘managers’ came down to ask how the food was, some replied courteously that food was cold. The managers, as I have been reading from many reviewers of this restaurant were aggressive and truculent to our guests, asking why we hadn’t asked for a re-heat on our second bite, and continued to be incredibly obstreperous and rude. I decided not to speak, having been already spoken to appallingly.

It then took the two white slightly more older male members of our group, almost 30 minutes to speak to the ‘managers’ upstairs to get some concession.

In short, this restaurant is not worth your money, there are so many amazing restaurants on Brick Lane and if you go to City Spice it WILL ruin your experience of what is an exuberant part of London to visit.

5 comments:

Jigna said...

Definitely NOT on my list of places to go to. Any restaurant that think they can give Ms Roopa Vyas sub standard service, are on notice!

Lauren said...

I had a dream last night that I came and visted you in London! (Luckily, we did not visit City Spice and had a great time! :))

Dhara said...

sounds disgusting and pAtronising. definitely not going to go there. Ever.

Jigna said...

Good word Dhara, pAtronising!

Kristin said...

Thanks for this post and the great advice! In fact, I found it so helpful that I quoted a bit of this on my site. Here's a link: http://www.landingpadlondon.com/brick-lane/

I really love and appreciate your blog! If any of you are interested in contributing posts similar to this to LandingPadLondon, and getting more exposure for your blog, let me know. (get in touch via my site or my blog)

Thanks again!