Monday 12 July 2010

Books 2010- Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

This is a re-read for me – I borrowed it from the library when it first came out. Thankfully, Roopa was at the amazing annual Blackheath/Greenwich amnesty booksale in June, and bought it for me in the hope I hadn’t got it – and I hadn’t! It’s been on my wishlist to buy for a while, so thanks Roops!

This is the first Moist Von Lipwig story (it was followed by Making Money) and it’s a real corker. With the usual Pratchett wicked humour, its set on the discworld, mostly in the anarchic, brilliant, riotous city of Ankh morpork. Lord Vetenari is as ever a key driving force- but it also introduces a whole bunch of new characters, golems, Adora Bell Dearheart and Stanley the pinhead / stamp collector whilst still making passing references to some of the better known characters, like the watchmen Carrot, Nobby Nobbs and Angua, as well as wizards like Arch Chancellor Ridcully and Ponder Stibbens.


This story is very funny and fast paced, with lots of twists, turns and laugh out loud moments of parody with the world as we know it. I love it.

No comments: