Wednesday 14 July 2010

It's ok to be a Ms...

I really enjoyed reading this article by Amelia Sage on the f word blog - Miss, Ms or Mrs? I agree with her wholeheartedly, including where she questions herself - why should it matter? But it does.

Aside from the patriarchal ‘ownership’ chestnut, I don’t want to be a Miss anymore. Much to my dismay, I think I am a grown-up now. ‘Miss’ brings with it a whole host of connotations that I would rather not be attached to.

Our cousin Devon has a book when he was little called 'it's ok to be different...' For some reason I remembered this book as I read the article - perhaps we need an adult version.

2 comments:

Jigna said...

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it too. Lucky for me, I feel like "Ms" is so commonly used in my world, it doesn't appear to be an issue. Although I can see it being an issue for many!

Dhara said...

It's interesting that you feel its more commonly used - perhaps it is more widely used in America? or is it just the intelligent company you keep in general, on both sides of the pond ;-) ?!

I'm always a bit dismayed that some intelligent sensible articulate and worldly people I know can never fail to surprise me with their old fashioned views about things to do with feminism and ways of life. These people often have a problem with the use of Ms - and coming from someone in our generation in the year 2010 this is really worrying! especially as these people have children or are planning to have them soon - will they be brought up to have these old fashioned views? its a bit depressing *sigh*