Sunday 18 July 2010

Books 2010 - Lucy Mangan, The Reluctant Bride

Lucy Mangan (her off of the Guardian) makes me laugh out loud every single week without fail. But I haven’t read any of her books. Roops knows how much I like her, and she bought me this (again from the Greenwich-Blackheath Amnesty book sale). I started reading it and wasn’t actually sure I would finish it, because the very title makes me annoyed – I mean honestly, either you want to get married or you don’t, and surely you should just have the wedding that you want?! Yes, before all you married people start berating my insensitivity and telling me it’s just not that simple I know. I know there are lots of factors and elements that make it complicated, but my ignorant view is that you honestly should do what you want and try not to get sucked into the commerciality and hype. And competitiveness of the whole thing! Yes, one day I may eat my words, I know this too.

Anyway back to the book – it’s a very easy read and its really good, the usual Mangan laugh out loud humour and I did feel sympathy for her at times. She obviously loves toryboy and it’s funny to hear about her hilarious wedding planning, her family and her friends. I still am not quite sure about the title and the point of it though – I mean you don’t have to get married and you should have the wedding you want: it sounds like she did have the lovely wedding that she wanted, and that she wanted to get married. Its a fun easy read – but am not sure I’d ever pick it up again.

1 comment:

Jigna said...

Funnily enough over the weekend, I was just discussing another book, non fiction, about marriage, By Elizabeth Gilbert, "Committed".

Ms Gilbert's previous book "Eat, Pray, Love" is now a major motion picture, starring Julia Roberts.

Here is the link to New Yorker review of "Committed".

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2010/01/11/100111crbo_books_levy?currentPage=all

The last sentence of the review is quite interesting:

"There is good reason to end such stories with weddings, buoyant celebrations of love. Because what follows a wedding is a marriage. And marriage is an institution, not a party"