Friday 2 July 2010

Reading Meme

Because Dhara (@dharavyas) asked me to and I enjoyed reading hers. Dhara was inspired by @Rich_W, and his Reading Meme which can be found at; his blog Arbitrary Constant.

Do you snack while reading? > Yes, especially if at home as opposed to commuting, traveling etc. Snacks can include whatever is at home; fruit, crisps, pop corn, chocolate, ice cream, nuts, the list is endless.


What is your favourite drink while reading? > Depends on where I am, my mood, the weather. In the summertime usually something cold and refreshing water, white wine,
Pimms is a rediscovered favourite. When the weather is cooler or the A/C is chilling my bones or I am at home in England, I love a nice cup of tea (and currently a Kit Kat courtesy of Roopa (@roopavyas) or a nice glass of dark red wine.


Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? > I often read library books so this is not a habit I have really developed, although I do find myself wishing I had a pen handy when reading. Usually I just try to remember and make a note somewhere, especially if it is a book group book, sometimes the notes come in handy when discussing the book.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat? > Bookmarks and as a last resort laying the book open flat


Fiction, non-fiction or both? > Increasingly both, used to be mainly fiction but I am endeavoring to broaden my reading. I have recently joined a second book group that only reads non fiction, and they only read four books a year as they are pretty heavy non fictions reads, currently reading, “The White Mans Burden; Why the West’s efforts to Aid the Rest have done so much ill and so little good” by William Easterly.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere? > I do tend to read to the end of a chapter, but if I fall asleep or get distracted midway, it’s not a big deal. It also depends on the length of the chapters.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? > No, but I do start mumbling and grumbling aloud and if it gets really annoying I have to put the book down and walk away, or pick up another book.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? >
Probably not right away, but at a later point, although, on the rare occasion that I have no absolutely no clue and the word must be defined to understand an important aspect of the book, I do have to stop. (To clarify; I am not saying that I am a walking dictionary and understand the definition of every obscure word, rather that, if the exact definition of a particular word eludes me I can usually decipher the meaning from the context.)

What are you currently reading? > “The White Mans Burden; Why the West’s efforts to Aid the Rest have done so much ill and so little good” by William Easterly. “Lacuna” by Barbara Kingsolver. "Equal Rites" by Terry Pratchett (I am really enjoying this my first Terry Pratchett novel, recommended by Dhara, on hold for a short while due to the fact that I must finish the heavy non fiction read.)


What is the last book you bought? > “The Girl who Played with Fire” by Steig Larsson, “Little Bee: A Novel” by Chris Cleave (Published in the UK as “The Other Hand”) and “A Reliable Wife” by William Goolrick

Do you have a favourite time/place to read? > Usually before I go to sleep in bed. Sunday mornings in bed, comfy chair in our living room at any time, whilst traveling and on holiday.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? > If it is something that interests me; stand alone or series; I will read it.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? > Yes, Douglas Adams, he is funny, witty, clever, astute and insightful. He is missed. But it also depends on who I am talking to, what their reading habits are etc.

How do you organize your books (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)? > Despite my anal tendencies there is no organization on our book shelves; it is a case of whatever can fit where. We have over the years accumulated and let go of so many books, that it really is a movable feast in no particular order. Which is another reason why I love the public library, no need to find more room on over crowded shelves, but I do have to find room on over crowded bed side tables.


Image Credit: A late 1930s poster © Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. Courtesy of http://thepersephonepost.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Dhara said...

you've inspired me to dig out that copy of Easterly's 'the white mans burden' that you and das gave me years ago for my birthday - I'll try to read it again - heavy going though if i remember my first attempt all those years ago....!

Jigna said...

Oh Yeah, I had forgotten we had brought that for you! I have sort of given up, it reads like a dry academic book, I am sort of flicking and picking chapters/sections that seem interesting the stuff about colonialism/imperialism is quite interesting. Good luck and let me know what you think?