Thursday 1 July 2010

Reading meme

I’ve taken this reading meme from @Rich_W over at arbitrary constant - gonna get the both my sisters to fill it in too...

Do you snack while reading? > depends on 3 things – 1) if it’s possible (i.e. not when I am reading whilst laid in bed) 2) if I feel like it (which i usually do) and 3) whether there is anything in the house to snack on! Anything really, nacho’s, chevro, peanuts, popcorn, chocolate etc etc

What is your favourite drink while reading? > again depends on my mood and what’s in the house (and time of day) morning – coffee or juice, afternoon maybe water, soft drink or beer, evening maybe min tea, maybe a glass of wine, maybe a G&T....

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? > when I was studying I would underline or use those post it tags. Now if something strikes me I’ll turn down the corner or stick any old piece of paper in to mark it.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat? > all of the above and more. Generally lay it open flat then stick a bookmark or bit of paper/receipt/train ticket/sweetwrapper anything to hand in when I need to.

Fiction, non-fiction or both? > FICTION baby! – well mostly, but not strictly (see current reading below!)

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere? > no, I just read till I fall asleep/have to get off the train/have to do something else...

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? > yes. Or put it in another room or back of the wardrobe if it scares or upsets me.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? > depends on whether it makes a difference – if i get the gist i might look it up later, if i feel knowing the definition might make a difference i look it up

What are you currently reading? > Just finishing
Barack Obama Dreams From My Father And starting Terry Pratchett Going Postal (reread - love it) and one I am not sure about but I'll give it a go, Lucy Mangan The Reluctant Bride

What is the last book you bought? > Lucy Kellaway In Office Hours

Do you have a favourite time/place to read? > nope – i’ll read anywhere i dont mind. i particularly like reading in bed, and on holiday.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? > erm well i have loads of series, so i guess i like them. but that doesn’t mean I prefer them. if a books good, its good.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? > Of course I do. Hundreds of standalone books but it depends on the person I am recommending the book or author to really – if know they liked something in particular I’ll recommend something in a similar vein that I think they'll like. If i start listing books or authors i worry i’ll leave a crucial one off.... but I do generally rave about
Vikram Seths A Suitable Boy and recommend it often.

How do you organize your books (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)? > I don’t, I let my organisationally anal boyfriend with librarian tendencies worry about these things. I don’t care, as long as they surround me my books can be in any old order!

1 comment:

Jigna said...

Done! http://threethatsthemagicnumber.blogspot.com/2010/07/reading-meme_02.html