Wednesday 7 July 2010

roopa's reading meme

As a response to;

I’ve taken this reading meme from @Rich_W over at arbitrary constant - gonna get the both my sisters to fill it in too...

Do you snack while reading? > Very much so thank you. Much like my two big sisters (reference to age not size-no puns here) it depends on my mood and what we have got in. I love having snacks that take a while to eat eg kachi keree (un ripe mango), sweets like refresher bars, papur loat...

What is your favourite drink while reading? > same as J+D. Depends on time of day, mood and what kind of reading ie work or pleasure. Glass of wine always the most pleasurable.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? > Absolutely not horrifying! Most definitely have to mark books, in fact I'm so obsessed I get upset if for any reason I cant mark my books. Institutionalised?

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat? > Yeah. All of the above. A favourite hobby growing up was to look at and remember the page number of where my sisters laid their books; then change the place and wait for them to return to it and get annoyed! Then I'd admit what page they were on because Im a really good little sister really.

Fiction, non-fiction or both? > fiction for sure, but very inspired and intrigued by Jigna's non-fiction reading and group, would very much like to be much better read in non-fiction. Aspects of work require non-fiction reading, but never too inspiring so maybe a little but put off.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere? > I do tend to try to, just because I have so many books on the go- not all for pleasure- it makes it a bit easier to recall what happened before- mind you I almost always have to re-read the last few paragraphs!

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? > sometimes, I always liked the Friends episode when Joey puts The Shining in the freezer when it gets scary, then does it with Little Women when Beth gets poorly! Mostly I think I give up too easily and avoid picking it up again. A flakey characteristic of mine, I know.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? > Yes. Always want to, if I dont have my favourite dictionary handy- mum got me for uni, its a 3-in-1 and its amazing- I write it down or write the word as an unsent text message or repeat it to myself over and over again until I can look it up. I often wish I had an iPhone for this, among other reasons. I sound a bit obsessive to admit this- but I do it with words I hear on tv aswell...

What are you currently reading? > Arthur Miller plays, realised a while back I only knew All My Sons, (ahhh mah daysss as we say at work) so read Death of a Salesman, and reading Crucible now, looking forward to A View from the Bridge. Also started lots of travel books, see titles in last bought below!


What is the last book you bought? > Eat My Globe by Simon Majumdar, Tall Story by Candy Gourlay, Video Night in Kathmandu by Pico Iyer, High Heels
and a Head Torch by Chelsea Duke, Travellers on the Dance Floor by Grevel Lindop and Australia by various writers from Granta. Im looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into them when we are away!

Do you have a favourite time/place to read? > yes, unfortunately, unlike my sisters, particularly Dhara I cant just pick up a book in any spare 30 seconds! Work takes it toll -much like most people- but Im looking forward to having some undivided attention with the written word, I have been a little slow and unfaithful with the tv.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? > Stand alones, never really got hooked on any series, tried same books by different authors, but willing to have a go at a series. (not Pratchet sisters, not yet anyway! )

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? >
Yes. Does depend on who and context. I often get colleagues/sisters to help in most recommendations.
They are all hugely well read.

How do you organize your books (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)? > no. wherever there is a spare nook or cranny!

1 comment:

Jigna said...

Brilliant! I am so craving a refresher sweet and papad nu lot right now (not together!)