Wednesday 27 February 2008

One year in the Lone Star State

So today's the day, we have been in the Lone Star Sate, the land of the free and the brave for one whole year! Doesn't time fly when you are having fun? It just seems like yesterday when I was reading the blog by a guy called, Geoff (he used to work for the BBC and moved to the USA) in which he marked his one year anniversary, and I remember thinking I wonder what I will feel like once I have been here for a year and I honestly just don't know where to start?

I still miss home, so badly, its like huge empty space that just is there, it just never goes...... what I miss the most is being able to pick up the phone and say what I need to say, to who I need to say it, when I need to say it.

But hey, thank God or more accurately thank the genius of the human mind for the t'internet, and again I have to note how I just really do not know how our immigrant parent/grandparents coped with emigration without the mighty power of the WWW?

As a child of immigrants I now have a deeper understanding of what it is like to leave home, all you know, love and take comfort in for an adventure, the reasons maybe different, but the aim is still the same to better ourselves and to go home. I just hope that our return home is very unlike the non-return of our parents/grandparents to their homeland.

But it's not as if the language is different (sort of?!) and its not as if the cultural norms and values of the UK are so alien to that of the USA, but it is exactly this similarity that makes the shock of the differences so much more shocking!

The main things to report, one year in, is that in Texas you really need to have portion control, you have to drive, you MUST be very very careful when driving around Dallas, bling is soooo in, walking IS A sport and you must have the right gear, Southern hospitality is very warm and generous and finally you have to learn to read between the lines and look past the surface to ever know what anyone really thinks. I am still working on the first and last ones.

Adventures are fun, despite the homesickness, this is certainly an adventure, discovering the land of the free and the Lone Star Sate. It is also a voyage of discovery for me as a person and last but definitely not least my marriage. Jigna



4 comments:

roopa said...

ahh jigs, this read like a family section article! i almost (feeling like dad) have a tear in my eye! speaking on behalf of most of us,your family, your best friend, who love and miss you more then u could understand or believe, having you over there is strange. mixed feelings of being proud, envious and lonely without you and your husband. A year in and jigs, i KNOW your making the most of your time there, all the classes and events...it sounds hard and i cant imagine doing the same, its so brave! I was speaking to a friend today about saltaire, her dad lives there, and i was saying what we used to do on our visits, and what you did to your house! cant believe how much time has flown. havnt got much more to say except PLEASE dont come home with the accent! i love you- both. xxx

Jigna said...

Thank you little sister! So your friends dad hey.....I remember those stories :) We sho hope we dont come back home speaking like all these Texans but I am sure y'all will keep us in check!? It's nice to hear that you miss us nearly as much as we all miss you! Love you, Jigna lost in Dallas

Anonymous said...

aaaah you guys. sniff sniff. i agree, you should send it in to the guardian family section.

we do miss you loads, and are so proud of you both - its a good thing for you and it seems also to have made you both so close being out there with each other sharing adventures and experiences together......and its weird cos when you lived up north we didnt really get to see you much but its the events or the weekends in leicester, and the 'unscheduled' phone calls at reasonable times!!

its weird isnt it, comparing the migrants of today to our grandparents and the experiences: also the difference between economic migrants and you guys in terms of skills and development.

I am gonna spend some time with dada and take some notes down on his experiences when i am there in a few weeks: it makes me think we are going to lose so much of our history when they aren't around anymore....

Anonymous said...

It's a scary thought and I do think about it a lot especially when I am there in CA, it would be great to hear what you find out from Ma and Dada, if anything?! Good luck with that one mate......I do beleive absence makes the heart grow fonder?! Hum sometimes I dont know if Wooley and I are growing closer or just more co-dependant?! All my love from Lonesome in Dallas